Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Why are you throwing your H1B?

A strange, strange state really....

(1) I have an H1 B, the VISA most IT people yearn for, thanks to my present employer. But becuase I have an admit from a top 20, I am keen to give it up and ask the USCIS for an F1..

(2) Two years down the line, when my F1 will be near its deathbed, I will be begging for an H1 B...

Among these thoughts, just when I was about to apply for student VISA, the next step towards the education that I badly need to start this fall, my DM gave me another option... This is what he said: "Why are you throwing your H1B? Move to the US on H1-B by mid April, file a COS, work till July, get your F1, start your education in August"....

A very lucrative offer indeed.... But it has its cons...
I will be missing out on all the fun I was planning to have before I start my education... I will miss out the month long stay with my family, a vacation for which I have yearned since I moved out of my hometown for my under-grad... I had promised my mom and grand mom that I will spend a long time with them, before moving to US for MBA... :( Here are the options:

(1) Take the offer, move to US --> Financial benifits
(2) Stay at home, relax for two months --> Emotional benifits... A lot of them actually...

I am supposed to reply within a day!

Edited on 23 rd April, 2007 - Made the decision finally, tomorrow is my last day @ work!!!!!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Bancaku said...

I don't think you should throw away your H1B. I am not sure about this but my impression is that they don't take too kindly to folks who waste such options (i.e apply for something and never use it).

6:28 AM  
Blogger JatWarrior said...

I would say enjoy your time at home. Even if you do COS in July, you would be "throwing away H1B" at that time anyway. You have to do it at some point.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Vishal said...

Don't throw your H1. Infact if you have no worry for $$$ apply for H4 for ur family too and take them along with you. They will also have a kinda vacation with you.

10:35 AM  
Blogger geetu said...

Good Decision! ;-) once you are here.. you miss them so much more.. whatever time you can spend with them is less.. :-)

Have a great time at school! ;-)

All the best

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home